Jane and I first met in our adolescent years but the history preceded both of us. Our families were first acquainted in southern Kentucky where our fathers were pastors of nearby churches of two small Kentucky towns. It wasn't until our grade school years when both our families had moved to Louisville that she and I became friends. We grew up in the same church and were active in the same choirs, GAs, and various other youth activities. We graduated from the same school. We shared some commonalities in being born in the same hospital of the county seat town, she and my brother share the same birthday, and Jane married one week later than I on my birthday, and we both married preachers. It was her dad who conducted the funeral of my father. Now all our parents are together. Our adult years were spent in different areas of the country but we remained in communication.
There were many fun times at Jane's house whenever her mother hosted a party for us. I remember one Christmas we had a party there and Mrs. Thurman gave each of the girls a Christmas ball for our tree. Inside the ball was a white lace-edged handkerchief. (Try giving that to little girls these days!) Nevertheless, it was a treasure to me and I still have the ornament on my tree every year. This year it will be there again, but the memory will be different. Jane's struggle with cancer took her home to the Lord on July 22. I had spoken to her just five days prior to her home-going. She told me she had a few months left. Her voice was as chipper as always and her spirit hopeful. She was facing reality and living each day to its fullest. Since last November when the cancer returned with a vengeance, she vowed to make each special day a holiday.
Our last time together was over lunch in Nashville just prior to her move to Virginia, where she was moving to celebrate the birth of her first grandchild. She wanted to experience that firsthand not knowing what her future held. We laughed about our fun days as kids and the many antics we pulled in youth group. One famous trip actually happened in Nashville when we visited the Parthenon and chased many of the group around the building more times than we could remember. My family's favorite casserole (yes, asparagus) was from Jane's mother. It is a standard for every holiday meal and many times in between. Even people who don't like asparagus like that casserole. We laughed about tying up the youth minister in the back of the bus on our way back to Louisville. We promised to do lunch again, and we promised to talk again on the last time we spoke. The time was cut way too short, but Jane is home free.
I will always remember her sweet smile and disposition, our family connections and treasure the friendship that I had with Jane.
No comments:
Post a Comment