"Waiting is what I do best." My mother used to say that throughout her life. I can so vividly remember the two of us waiting for my father to arrive home from an out-of-town business trip. He would often be gone for two weeks at a time and would travel many miles in a day to make it home by nighttime. This was long before the days of cell phones so we only knew when he left his hotel and began the trip home. All we could do was wait on the other end. I would sit by the living room window on our big overstuffed sofa (couch or davenport as they called it in those days) and watch all the cars as they turned the corner at the end of the block and came down the street closer to our house. I could identify each car by its headlights and rule out that it was my father. Yes, cars were much more distinctive in those days---not necessarily beautiful---but different. When his car rounded the corner, I would leap off the sofa and run to the kitchen to announce my dad's arrival.
As a preacher's daughter and now a preacher's wife I still do a lot of waiting. Way back then God was preparing me for what was ahead for me. But waiting isn't all about someone's arrival, a telephone call, an anticipated event or whatever. It is a daily thing often of waiting on the Lord and for His timing. So like my mother I can say---waiting is what I do best. Well, maybe not best, but most often. But waiting teaches us patience and trust in the Lord. I don't know about you, but I could use an ounce or two of patience.
One of my favorite verses is Psalm 27:13-14. "I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord. Be strong and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the Lord." I have posted several entries on this topic of waiting. Now I can't wait to see what I get to post when God reveals His plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment