September 21, 1932, my oldest brother came into the
world. We were some years apart but
close in relationship. Our shared love
was music. Through his talent for music
and his teaching and ministry, music became a vital part of my life. He even taught me piano for a while and gave
his best try at teaching me to play the accordion. That was probably more of a nightmare for
him, but I TRIED.
What do I remember about him? Oh let me count the ways.
I loved to hear him play the accordion and the piano. His talent was amazing and I can still
remember being mesmerized at his ability to play so gracefully all while
watching his funny crooked little finger.
His singing voice was calming. I loved to see the surprise on people’s faces
when this freckle face sandy red hair young man came out with his booming bass
voice. I can still hear that voice in my
ear right now.
He was a composer.
His drawers were filled with little notebooks of ideas for more songs
that were never written. He composed all
his music writing every note and lyric by pencil. Many times I have thought what a turnout he
could have produced in this present computer age.
His humor kept me in stitches. Oh what he wouldn’t think up. He was the King of Puns I do believe. He and his friend also had their own made up
language. Does anyone out there speak
“Alfalfa”? I do! Thank you, my brother. AND my favorite was his quick ability to say
words backward. I still do that today
and even my children have picked up some of my lingo. At least they understand it when I speak it.
One of my favorite sayings of his was, “I’m going down to Dradnats Lio
to put some sag in my rac”. Another was,
“please pass the ragus”. They go on and
on. Even my sister-in-law was affectionately
known as “Enelrad”. Inside secret---now
you know why we call our middle child “Nerak” sometime.
I was blessed by two big brothers. Both of them were my defenders whenever
anyone attempted to pick on me. I loved
that they were there watching over me.
I remember that my brother loved to carry me on his shoulder
through the house and would duck as we went through the doorframes inside the
house between rooms. Glad we didn’t have
ceiling fans back then!
He did this funny little thing with his fingers and
throat. He loved to play a tune on his
neck and make me guess what he was “playing”.
Among all these memories there is one that will never leave
my mind. It was the day of my 7th
birthday, September 3, a morning that I went to register for the second
grade. I always had the privilege of
starting school on or somewhere very near my birthday. I had gone to school that morning for a few
hours of registration and meeting my teacher.
After getting home I ran upstairs to put on my play clothes and go
outside to play with neighborhood friends.
As I came out the front door and onto the porch, there on the sidewalk
was the most beautiful green 24-inch Schwinn girl’s bicycle. I had begged and begged for a bicycle and my
parents had said they were not able to get me one. I was sad!
My brother had purchased it for me for my birthday with his very own
money from his teaching accordion at Shackelton’s Music store. (Maybe my
parents knew that was happening and thus the “story”. I never knew.) That bicycle took me all over
Crescent Hill community and sits in my shed today. I have ridden it in my adult years and will never
part with it. Presently it needs new
tires! (Good ol’ South Florida rubber rot set in.) Said bike would make a cool yard conversation
piece. If it weren’t behind so much
stuff in the shed I would post a picture.
Maybe in the future!
As if it were yesterday I remember the day when he and his
wife and two-year old Billy left Louisville to move to South Alabama where he
was going to be a minister of music in a church. I thought my heart was being ripped out. I recall trying to leave the house that
morning after our “goodbyes” and heading for the bus stop. I couldn’t stop crying, so he loaded me into
his car and delivered me to my high school.
I still remember leaning on my hall locker door thinking I would not get
through the day.
Summer came and I went to Alabama for a two-week visit. My
parents drove me there and let me stay. Riding the train home---that “hall
locker feeling” came back.
Years went on and visits were sporadic at best. We never lived in the same town again. I married.
He composed a song for our wedding and sang it.
I always enjoyed our visits and phone calls and his
letters. Yes, people wrote letters back
then.
I loved him! He loved
me! He was not a perfect man, often
troubled by the cares of this world, but I thank God for the blessing of being
his sister. He taught me much.
The chapters closed on October 9, 1982. I have missed every day of the thirty years
we did not get to spend together. Diabetes took him from us all. But now I know he is whole and still
singing. I look forward to the day when
we share our music again.
I love you, Baynard Layne Fox.

4 comments:
Wow, Mom. I hope God has internet in heaven, because Uncle Baynard would be smiling ear to ear (with tears) at how beautiful this is.
Incredibly written. It was like a good book you can't put down, but meant so much more because I feel like I know him because of so many of these stories I've heard my whole life. (Though, I didn't know about the song for your wedding.) I do vaguely remember him from when I was just very, very little. I'm glad I have those few short memories.
I couldn't read this without tears in my eyes. I'm sure you had some of your own as you wrote it.
If the world had more people like him, the world would be a much better (and funnier!) place. :)
Loved this very special post.
Lots of good memories of love given and received, that is the best heritage he could give. I have always enjoyed the music he wrote and remember singing a few songs in choir with you.
Wow! This is very special post. I hope you, Brian and "Nerak" can all help Mom write a book about his life. What a tribute !
That was so beautifully written! I love to hear all the stories of you childhood and the fun you had with your brothers. I know how special your brothers/family are to you! Uncle Baynard would be so happy to read this wonderful tribute. You have such a way with your writing that captivates... keep it up. Even though I've heard these tales many times, I didn't want this post to end. Thanks for sharing it.... again.
Post a Comment