Wednesday, June 13, 2012

LEFT BRAINED? or RIGHT?

Recently I read an article about ways to develop and expand the mind. Mine could use it! I honestly can't remember now where I read this enlightening information, but the idea was to develop creative thinking by doing something in a new or different way. Hey, you can teach an old dog new tricks!  Anyway, the plan was to use the opposite hand that you normally use and write with the other hand a question.  Next you list your thoughts using that hand.  I couldn't imagine what the big deal was, but I decided "let me see.......".  I'm a lefty, so while converting to my right hand for this activity, I asked myself this question,

"What do I like to do most?"

Apparently this activity helps you to recall thoughts in a new way. It was interesting to see what I wrote and how quickly the list grew.  My thoughts were coming so rapidly that I started to wonder if I was just imagining these ideas and where they really MY thoughts.  After rereading the list I discovered it was right on target.

  Here's my list:

  1. Listen to music.
  2. See a sunrise.
  3. Watch the ocean.
  4. Walk on the beach.
  5. Read a good book.
  6. Watch a funny movie.
  7. Spend time with a friend.
  8. Visit someone at least ten years older than I. (It makes me feel young and I learn something every time.)
  9. Travel to new places.
10. Revisit my old stomping ground.
11. Look at old family photos.
12. Visit cemeteries.  (I know---I'm weird.)
13. Research my ancestry (that's why #12)
14. Hold a baby.
15. Feel my grandchildren's arms around me.
16. Read the Psalms every day.
17. Throw away or recycle something I don't need.

I think the list could have gone on forever, but perhaps it would be a stretch. So for now that's my left-brain thinking from my right-handed approach. These are not in order of any preference; just the way they rolled out of my brain. I thought about taking a picture of my right hand cursive but it really looked as if a third grader wrote it. It's doubtful you would be able to read it correctly. So type it I did, but just know that this is something other than what my left hand would have written.  I probably would have tried to analyze everything I wrote BEFORE I wrote it.  Care to give this idea a try?  Let me know how it turns out for you.

See ya! I think I'll go throw something away!

Becky

No comments: