Why am I doing nothing? Not that I am trying to rest or just be kind to myself, I am in "recovery" mode. Four thousand miles of travel can do that to you. Surely did to me. Bob and I drove from South Florida to Dallas, Texas, not in one stretch though. We did make overnight stops---two in fact, and intentionally. We could have actually done with just one hotel stop but we wanted to spend time going down memory lane before reaching our Dallas destination. (I"ll tell you about the Dallas hotel in another post, later.)
| Azaleas in full bloom amid beautiful Bed and Breakfast spots in the area |
Many, many years ago we lived in East Texas near the Lake of the Pines, a beautiful area beeming in the spring with wildflowers among the tall pines. The tiny town we lived in then is even tinier now--almost by half. We walked the main street (there aren't many others) and talked with a lady who arrived there just four years after we left. She was a walking history book! She knew almost everyone who had lived there when we did and knew their whereabouts or in many cases, when they died. After detaining her for some time from wherever she was headed when we encountered her, we departed and found the newly built bank at the end of the street. We had been told that our former pianist who was a young mom with three children in our pastoral days worked now at the bank. (OOPS, majorly forgot to tell you, Bob was the pastor in that little town. Told you I'm coasting!)
After a moment of stares of "yes I know that face but can't think who you are", we introduced ourselves and then the hugs came. Hugs and more hugs. We sat, talked, reminisced and laughed for nearly an hour. Unfortunately we had a set arrival time in Dallas and couldn't stay longer. The short conversation was a bright spot in our trip and a thrill to hear the success stories of so many---especially in her own family. They own and operate the Five D Cattle Company Steakhouse there. On a weekend they serve more than the town's population. People come from all over the area and reservations are a necessity. They have achieved acclaim in Southern Living. Our friend says they have become a destination restaurant. Only wish we could have stayed for dinner! Next time.
Oh and back to the four thousand mile trip. We traveled to South Central Texas to visit Bob's 91-year-old mom and his family living in the area. On the way, we traveled through Waco and toured the ol' Baylor campus. OH MY!!! Has it grown? Of course, we had our dose of Mexican food---two enchiladas, rice and beans, chips and salsa and ice tea. No it isn't $1.50 anymore, OR 75 cents as was the Baylor student special on Wednesday. But we did enjoy the meal eating in the original site of our first date during our college days. We even told the waiter---don't think he was impressed, Oh, well.
| Hill Country minus the bluebonnets! Ugh. |
One of our days we toured the Hill Country in search of bluebonnets. MISTAKE! None, nada, well a patchy few here and there, but nothing like last year's bountiful array of blue. Oh well, still had fun seeing great country and ate in some interesting little places. Most importantly, Mom enjoyed the ride and getting out of town. Big deal for her these days.
Homeward bound, we made it to Mobile. Upon our check-in there I noticed on the hotel wall, pictures of Bellingrath Gardens. Plans were quickly decided upon to visit there on Saturday for a few hours and then continue our trek across the I-10 WASHBOARD. Big surprise--- when we reached the Bellingrath gates---beautiful weather, beautiful flowers, and a CLASSIC CAR SHOW had brought the crowds. All for the price of the garden/house entry. Bob was thrilled and I was happy too. (More pictures to post another day). A few hours turned into all day, but the time was well spent and I felt exhuberant at seeing the blazing azaleas. Now I wasn't so mad that I didn't get to see bluebonnets. Was still a little miffed, but I'll get over it.
The rest of the trip was the usual--- hotel stop, eat, get gas (for the car---not us) and the rat-race drive down I-75 and then the FL turnpike. Home Sweet Home at last. Putting my head on the pillow, I said, "Well it isn't the Hyatt, but it is home and good to be here." Need a new mattress!!
Now I'm going to relax in my recliner---this was work---brainwork!
2 comments:
My favorite line? The gas. Oh, mother.
Glad to hear more details of your trip and can't wait to see pics from the car show. I bet Dad made some goofy poses with them. You know, just being "Bob". :)
Sophisticated Steps
That is great to hear about the people you met and got reacquainted with. Glad you all got to take a few side trips too! I know you are exhausted, but you have some great memories that you made this trip. Hope you are resting!
Post a Comment