Thursday, August 14, 2008
Flare in the Air
The summer is flying by and it's mid-August already. The heat is nearly unbearable at times in this south tropical area; but more than dealing with that I've had the biggest "fibro flare" I've experienced in a long time. Last summer I was in treatment with a specialist who completely changed my diet and medications---the results were very good and I thought I was on my way to real recovery from this dratted fibromyalgia. All of a sudden, things went downhill. My fall back in May on the porch of a well-known restaurant that has a row of rocking chairs initiated a new round of this latest flare. That's a whole story in itself---maybe another time for those who haven't heard it. Anyway, pain, stiffness, brain fog, plus an excrutiating eczema attack have been my lot for the past few weeks. Coupled with a new doctor, his new round of tests which have brought me unwelcomed news, I am now on a new regimine of meds---let's see which ones I am allergic to this time! My list grows every year. Well, I won't bore you with all the details of my compound ailments, but I warned you in my first posting of this blog---all would not be a pretty picture. This is my life, my story, and what I deal with every day---at least for the past thirty-plus (almost forty now) years. Every day I find new people who are fighting this same battle. At least more doctors are becoming a little more equipped with dealing with it. Finally, they are not telling us that is "all in our heads" anymore. Fibromyalgia is real! It is still a mystery to doctors and researchers alike but hopefully in the near future there will be some real answers and treatment, and maybe even a cure. That is my prayer! In the meantime I constantly do my research and live my life by trial and error. My latest technique for dealing with the eczema is apple cider vinegar! Not the most desired perfume, but it works. I pour it over my hands------hold my breath, clinch my teeth, and blow on my hands for about thirty seconds---and miraculously the burning stops. For a while anyway---hey, it's a step in the right direction. Then I have my ACV and water cocktail. A wonderful refreshing drink----NOT. But it surprisingly works too. After two days of several of these drinks, my body feels an amazing difference. All has to do with the acidity or alkalinity of the body. Keeps things in balance. Found these ACV suggestions on the internet. It's a lot cheaper treatment than all the pounds of creams I've used over the years---so I decided to give it a try. Enough said on this---I'll keep you posted on my progress. Many of my friends and family have been praying for me daily. I deeply appreciate it. Catch you next time---thanks for reading this less exciting news. Hopefully my next post will be much more exciting complete with pictures. Counting the days until Megan arrives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
For anyone who possibly thinks that fibromyalgia is not real, I assure it is. If you're reading this, you're either a close friend or family member and know Mom well enough to know she's a tough cookie...but she usually acts tougher than she wants to. She usually just "survives" instead of "lives". Mom will probably have tears and nod while she reads this because she knows it's the truth. There is SO much she wants to do, but can't. Right now in particular, because of the condition of her hands, little things we take for granted like washing our hair is difficult and very painful. Her hands hurt to TRY to bend her fingers because of joint pain and swelling. On top of that, she has so many deep splits in her hands, just toughing the WATER itself burns. (It's also dangerous for her to be in public touching grocery carts, handling items, etc.) Simple tasks are almost impossible, so forget trying to do anything fun. She loves to sew, knit and do all kinds of crafts. It's also difficult for her to take care of her grandkids that she loves dearly. So, if you ARE reading this, I beg you on mom's behalf to PLEASE pray for a miracle, for her overall health, but right now especially for her HANDS. She's thinking only a round of cortizone shots will break this cycle (but it always comes back and she cannot regularly take cortizone). Pray for God's merciful healing. We KNOW HE is the Master Physician.
Amen, Gail! I couldn't have said that any better. You hit the nail on the head. Mom, thanks for sharing your new ACV treatment. That is very interesting. I am praying that you will finally get some answers. Love you!
Post a Comment